In this course, students will put the technical aspects of Fiber optics into practice; Its related electronics, measurement, installation, applications, testing, etc. while constructing a complete Fiber Optic Link (Central Office to Outside Plant to Customer Premise). Hence, this course will provide students with hands-on skills and experience in terminating optical fibers and installing optical cables, performing fusion and mechanical splices, troubleshooting, test measurements, and documentation to EIA/TIA Industry standards.
Students will learn how to terminate a variety of connector styles and types, perform reliable low loss splices, test and troubleshoot Fiber Optic link (OTDR) etc. Students will be trained in the use and operation of; light source & power meter (OLTS), Visual Fault Locator (VFL), Optical Time Domain Reflect meter (OTDR) etc.
- Terminate a variety of connector styles and types
- Perform reliable low loss splices
- Test and troubleshoot Fiber Optic link (OTDR)
- Utilise Optical Loss Test Equip. & Perform optical loss tests - Install cables & fibers within closures & panels
*Blended - a style of education in which students learn via electronic and online media as well as traditional face-to-face teaching.
To be considered for acceptance, applicants are not required to possess any background in working with cables or wires at a professional level; however, it is necessary that all applicants show an affinity for working with electrical or electronic devices.
Acceptance into the programme is subject to the conditions governing matriculation requirements of the College Policy.
All candidates MUST be computer literate and have access to a computer and the internet.
For more information, kindly contact our admissions office.
VTI offers a number of courses that prepare you for sitting Fiber Optic Association (FOA) Certification examinations. As an approved school with the FOA, all instructors are certified in the courses that they teach. At the end of each course, students are tested and upon successful completion, are awarded the appropriate VTI certificate. This certificate is locally recognized within the industry and is not a substitute for any of the FOA's international certifications. Candidates are required to register for FOA examinations separately. Examinations are proctored at VTI under the rules and regulations of The Fiber Optic Association.
The Fiber Optic Association (FOA) is organized as an international non-profit professional society for the Fiber Optic industry. Its charter is to develop educational programs, certify Fiber Optic technicians, approve Fiber Optic training courses, participate in standards-making processes and generally promote Fiber Optics. The FOA has certified over 66,000 CFOTs (Certified Fiber Optic Technicians) through over 250 approved training organizations worldwide.
The FOA offers two categories of Fiber Optic certification:
1. Basic Level Certifications:
The basic level certification (CFOT®) is taken for first time membership in the FOA. Any one holding this certification qualifies to take the certification exams for the others, if they have appropriate experience or training for that specialty.
CFOT® - Certified Fiber Optic Technician for general fiber optics applications. The FOA CFOT® is the certification for most Fiber Optic technicians. It is based on the knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) deemed necessary for all technicians involved in the installation of Fiber Optic networks and is recommended for anyone involved in the design or management of Fiber Optic communications systems. Most CFOTs work in the industry as contractors or installers. Consultants, network designers, estimators and trainers would also be expected to have such credentials.
A well-prepared Fiber Optic technician will have a CFOT®, plus appropriate specialist certifications (CFOS) for the skills needed for the job (splicing, connectors, testing, design, etc.) and applications (FTTH, OLAN, etc.) The FOA CFOT certification requires a test of the applicant's knowledge of Fiber Optics in broad-based exam that covers technology, components, installation and testing and also requires verified skills and/or experience in Fiber Optics.
2. Specialist Level Certifications:
The FOA also offers Specialist (CFOS) certifications in three categories:
- Skills-based certifications are for CFOTs and are available in splicing, connectors, testing, OSP installation and Fiber characterizations. Related certifications include CFOS /S, /C, /T, /O and /FC.
- Applications-based certifications (FTTH, OLANs, FTTA, Wireless, DAS and Data Centers) focus on the design and installation issues of each particular application and are aimed at a wider audience - users and managers overseeing these networks, designers and project managers, supervisors, as well as CFOTs involved in the installation. Related certifications include CFOS /H, /L, /A, /W, /DAS and /DC.
- Fiber Optic network design - This is a specialist application certification covering Fiber Optic network design intended for network owners, IT personnel, facilities managers, network designers, estimators or technicians involved in the design or installations of Fiber networks. This course is especially recommended for network owners and planners who may not be familiar with the process of Fiber Optic network design as it can make their jobs easier and their projects better. Related certification is CFOS /D.
Courses Offered By VTI:
Fiber Optics Level 1 – This important fundamentals course covers the material required for satisfying the knowledge-based aspect of the FOA CFOT® certification examination. Programme duration of 5 weeks and a VTI certificate is awarded upon completion.
Fiber Optics Level 2 – This Advanced course covers the material and hands-on activities required for satisfying the skills and abilities aspects of the FOA CFOT® & CFOS/O certification assessments. Programme duration is 4 weeks and a VTI certificate is awarded upon completion.
Specialist Level Courses:
Please inquire about separate specializations in Splicing, Termination, Testing or Design.
*Reference – official website of The Fiber Optic Association http://www.theFOA.org
The purpose of the Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Installer Training Programme is to de ...
Fiber Optics Level 1 introduces students to the components, tools and equipment ...
The Cisco CCNA program offers comprehensive associate-level training and certifi ...
Take command of the design world by becoming a professional Graphic Designer or ...